Saturday, April 14, 2012

Veganista Shopping

Being a Vegan in a small town presents a ton of challenges.  For example, stores like Save a Lot or Food Giant are going to have fresh vegetables and fruit, but that's about it.  So, you are left to do your shopping at Walmart.  You would think, in their We'reTakingOverTheWorld mentality, you would think that they would be on point with continuing trends in nutrition.  However, you would be dead wrong.  Walmart has fresh fruit and vegetables...they even have a small organic section with tofu and Veggie Slices cheese.  If you are looking for more - you'll be stuck there for ages trying to navigate through all the aisles and read all the labels.  Gluten Free pasta is not necessarily Vegan...Whole Grain pasta is not necessarily Vegan...and if you are new to Veganism, then Walmart is going to be the WORST place for you to begin. 

Your best option is going to be Kroger.  Lucky for you, there are two in Paducah and one in Murray.  My personal opinion is that the one in Murray is much nicer, newer, and easier to navigate.  So I suggest starting there.  They have a Vegan produce section, a Vegan dairy section, and a Natural Foods section.  This break down of the foods makes it super easy to shop Vegan.  Not to mention, I have always liked Kroger's produce. 

The trick?  Read the labels!  Most things that are Vegan will say so!  They will be marked with  "V" in a box on the back, or they will just have the word "Vegan" written with a check mark beside it.  The downside?  Be prepared to spend some real money!  Even with your Kroger Plus Card, items are still expensive.  One of my favorite Vegan soups is Amy's Chunky Vegetable soup.  60 calories per serving, and two servings per can.  The soup is $3.49.  That's kind of steep for a can of soup!  But, the health benefits are totally worth it!  All Vegan items are expensive...it's just a fact.  So, get past the sticker shock, and get to shopping! 

Today, I found a new product that is a taco filling completely made of vegetables.  It was super simple to make....and actually super delicious and filling!  And just look...if I invited you to dinner, and served you these tacos, you would NEVER know the difference! I used 100% whole wheat tortillas, chopped tomatoes, guacamole, salsa, and Daiya (a veggie cheese shred). 

Soooooo good!!


Health Issues:

My major health issue lately has been migraines.  I have been having migraines quite frequently.  I feel like it is too late in the game for it to be the fact that I cut out sugar two and a half weeks ago.  And although I would occasionally drink caffeine, it was really rare, so I don't feel like it is that either.  So, my doctor's suggestion is that I'm am severely iron deficient.  My iron count was incredibly low this week...almost scary low.  So, B12 shots and supplements are going to be a part of my life for a little while.  I am trying to up my protein intake.  This morning, I had a delicious tofu scramble...and I'm trying, really trying, to eat iron rich foods - except raisins, that is just not going to happen...ever.

However, the difference in my body is phenomenal.  I've lost about 7lbs so far, but the best thing is how my clothes feel and how I feel.  My clothes fit so well, and I feel great!  I know that I may not carry this Veganista lifestyle forever, but I will definitely bring aspects of it into my everyday life!  I feel like I am finally over the plateau hump!  Bring it!


No comments:

Post a Comment