Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Veganista answer to a nacho craving....

So, let's get real...being a Vegan is hard.  Not only is it hard to change your mindset and grasp what it is you can and can't eat...but finding the right foods and making sure that your daily meals are well balanced and that you're getting the right amount of healthy calories.  For the love!  So, today I was craving nachos...like chips and cheese, and the works.  So, when shopping a week or so, we found this...

So...here's the "Meatless Ground" - supposed to be like ground beef, but includes no meat, mostly soy.

And here's what it looks like cooked.  I mean, it really does look like ground beef!


In order to get the desired effect I used organic yellow corn chips, two servings, which is roughly 28 chips.  I took two slices of veggie slices (veganish cheese) and cut them into this strips.  I added the chips and a serving and a half of the grill to a baking pan, then layered the veggie slices.  I baked it in the oven for about five minutes, then topped it with two tablespoons of organic salsa, and a 100 calorie pack of guacamole.  The total calorie count for the meal was 600 - which was perfect for me, because even though I had eaten breakfast and lunch, I'd only had around 300-400 calories. 

Want to see the final product?!?!?!? You totally know you do! So, here it is:




And...if you try hard, it really does taste like the real deal.  The meatless grill was nice, it does make you think of actual nachos and the salsa and guacamole are really nice. 
 
I was talking to a friend earlier today, and I realized that part of the reason I have been so tired lately is that I am not eating enough.  Fruits and veggies are great for you, if you make sure you are eating them properly and in a good combination.  I've been exhausted this week - more so than just because it's the first few days back from spring break.  I am going to try eating five or six small meals per day, instead of three meals and a snack.  I am also going to have to bite the bullet and add more tofu.  I have been sticking it to a breakfast item, but I am going to have to branch out a little.  :) 
 
Remember, if you are going to try Veganism, just make sure that you are open and that you do it in a way that works for you!  Good luck and happy Vegan-ing!!!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment